Software Engineer (Data Engineering)
Who we are:
CIBO is a science-based software company focused on understanding agricultural ecosystems at a system level. We strive to solve some of our planet’s most important problems—including those related to soil health, nitrogen leaching, and carbon sequestration. Our culture is built on cross-disciplinary collaboration, learning, and rapid prototyping — be prepared to learn and invent with us! Software is a creative process and we welcome non-traditional and diverse candidates to apply.
What we are building:
Our crop growth simulation delivers objective, science-driven intelligence about land at the parcel level, at a national scale and without requiring local data provided by farmers. Our architecture has two parts: the core science and data platform built in Scala and the consumer-facing product layer in Java and React — all deployed on AWS using Kubernetes.
As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will build and extend CIBO’s data platform to power our simulations and run them at scale. You will:
- build, optimize, test, and improve REST and gRPC services through which CIBO’s scientists and engineers access our modeling and computer vision technology
- collaborate with data scientists, crop scientists, and remote sensing experts to aggregate and standardize scientific and geospatial data
- weigh technical tradeoffs and collaborate with your coworkers to reach consensus about balancing practical necessities and ideological concerns
- 1-5 years of professional experience
- Experience using one or more JVM languages (e.g., Scala, Java, Clojure, Kotlin)
- Experience with professional software engineering practices including automated testing, code review, version control, refactoring, Agile methodologies, etc.
- Strong problem solving abilities and excellent collaboration skills
Bonus Qualifications (Not Required):
- Experience with functional programing languages (e.g., Scala, Haskell, Erlang, etc.)
- Experience with cloud computing tools (e.g., AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Experience with database systems (such as schema design, query optimization, database tuning or migration tools)
- Domain knowledge in agriculture, the biological sciences, or another natural science
- 401k with employer match
- Highly competitive health and dental benefits
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work environment
- Flexible PTO
Currently, we are fully remote due to COVID-19. We anticipate an eventual return to our three office locations, date TBD.
- Minneapolis, MN
- St. Louis, MO
- Cambridge, MA
How to Apply
Applicants should send resumes directly to HR@CIBOtechnologies.com.